Thursday, October 3, 2013

31 Days of Pinterest, Day 3


I actually read this book in the summer while camping at Champion Lakes but we all know that my blogging skills got kind of swept under the rug for a few months. I pinned it to my board, called The Written Word - which is where I put really good books I have read, things about books, or books I want to read.

This book was amazing. I have such great luck with the books I bring camping that it is almost why I want to go each year!  This one though, I have had a hard time reading anything since... I have a book hangover!  It was so moving and the story told just right.  It was one of the rare books that would actually be a (gasp) good movie!

This is what Goodreads has to say about it, reader gave it 5 stars and it is well worth every one!
For fifty years, Anna Schlemmer has refused to talk about her life in Germany during World War II. Her daughter, Trudy, was only three when she and her mother were liberated by an American soldier and went to live with him in Minnesota. Trudy's sole evidence of the past is an old photograph: a family portrait showing Anna, Trudy, and a Nazi officer, the Obersturmfuhrer of Buchenwald.
Driven by the guilt of her heritage, Trudy, now a professor of German history, begins investigating the past and finally unearths the dramatic and heartbreaking truth of her mother's life.
Combining a passionate, doomed love story, a vivid evocation of life during the war, and a poignant mother/daughter drama, Those Who Save Us is a profound exploration of what we endure to survive and the legacy of shame.
See you tomorrow!  Tina


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh! Please write something. Please. I would LOVE to hear your comments!