Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sometimes You Just Gotta Wonder

Okay so, sometimes it takes me a while to get things done, but if you let me do it at my own pace, I promise you that you will not be disappointed.  I do need a deadline, and I will work through the night to get it done but I never, ever, do things half way.  All the way or not at all.  In for a penny in for a pound.  So my reason for telling you this about me?  Well...

Sometime ago, I honestly am not sure when but I think I was wearing sandals (although I did that until October), an elderly customer that I am quite fond of had me come to her home, make a template of her coffee table and requested that I make a runner for it that would cover the whole thing.  I took one of her sofa cushions with me to have a reference to choose appropriate fabrics and got to work - mentally that is - with a plan. I finally came up with a good design idea in November and then worked on - mentally -  how I was going to make what I could see in my mind come to life.  (During this process, I happily learned that although I cannot draw worth beans, I can make what I see in my mind's eye with my sewing machine instead of a pencil.  My brother can draw amazingly well and I have always been jealous of that so this is very exciting to me!!).

As the story goes, she comes in a few times and asks about it and then I tell her to come back in a week - trying to give myself a deadline.  She doesn't show - thank Goodness because I have not even started although I just need to do some sketches to figure out the roses as I have it all worked out in my head and am ready to start.  Then, I give notice at the shop, the kids are sick then healthy then sick again, Christmas prep is in full swing, etc. etc. and I still have not done the freakin' thing.  I call her and tell her I will drop it off on New Year's Eve and then I set aside some time to do it.  I got it done too but then the Little Man got Hand Foot and Mouth Disease and I got distracted again and did not go - and did not call.  Honestly, I forgot.  It just wasn't at the top of my list and the runner was done.

This morning she calls the shop and tells me to forget it and I tell her I will drop it off today, that I had it with me because I wanted to sew a label on it.  I tell her that I am very proud of it - it looks really good and it is all out of my head!  She says fine.  At 4 when I am done at the shop, CH, Penelope and I head over there.  She lets me in, I apologize for the huge delay and tell her that I am not going to charge her - she says "You aren't going to charge me because it took so long." and I said, "No, I am not going to charge you because I like you."  She disagrees.  Then she does not seem to me to be thankful at all, she puts it on the table and I am bursting because I thought she would love it and she says "Too bad...." and then stops talking.  THEN she tells me that the next time she is down she will bring some cookies in for my kids - not me because I don't need any cookies.  THEN she tells me that I am a very nice girl but I am not very good a keeping my word!!!

Not once did she say thank you for working so hard to make me a beautiful custom table runner at no charge.  Thank you for spending months thinking about it and two and half days of your Christmas break doing nothing but sewing it.  Only nasty and hurtful comments.  Broke my heart.  I almost want to go and take it back!

I suppose it was really good experience for me...  the cost of education, right?  Although the runner is not really my style, I am going to publish the pattern so after I sell about 25 copies I will have made what I should have charged her!


Anyway, other than that this year has been fabulous!!  The shop has a new home - confirmed today.  I am very excited about it and will keep you all posted as we go.

:o)  Tina

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh! Please write something. Please. I would LOVE to hear your comments!