Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beautiful Brazilian Embroidery!

Edmar Threads now at Sugar Shack Quilting! If you are not familiar with this type embroidery, there is no time like the present!

It is beautiful and has a lot of possibilities. It is three dimensional so you can create object with it that are part of a picture without being flat like more common forms of needlework such as cross stitch.

Brazilian embroidery is a type of surface embroidery that uses rayon thread instead of cotton or wool. It is called "Brazilian" embroidery because the use of high-sheen rayon thread in embroidery was first popularized in Brazil.  Brazilian embroidery patterns often include flowers formed using both knotted and cast on stitches.

I have wanted to do the lady shown here (her name is Verana) for ages but I just cannot seem to find the time in my chaotic life to finish my current stitching project (Mirablila's May's Emerald Fairy) so that I can move onto the next.  I learned long ago that I need to finish one before I start another or the other NEVER gets done!

Watch for more patterns and books being added to the website over the next few months.  Included the wonderful "A to Z of" books.  If you have never seen an "A to Z of" you are missing out on an invaluable resource.  We do have the A to Z of Brazillian Embroidery in the shop if you are interested please email me at tina@sugarshackquilting.ca.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh! Please write something. Please. I would LOVE to hear your comments!